Job Title: Civic Engagement Director, Chispa Arizona
Reports to: Executive Director, Chispa Arizona
Positions Reporting to this Position: Canvass Teams
The League of Conservation Voters Education Fund (LCVEF) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCVEF, in collaboration with our state LCVEF partners, advocates for strong environmental protections, organizes communities to speak up about their environmental values, and engages people in the democratic process in order to enact strong environmental laws.
In 2014, LCVEF launched Chispa (“chispa” translates to “spark” in English) – a multi-state program that relies on grassroots community organizing to amplify the voice and power of Latino families and other communities of color to influence the environmental policies and decisions that affect their lives. Over the last four years, Chispa has grown to six states – Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Maryland, Nevada and New Mexico – and is one of the largest community organizing efforts of any national environmental organization focused on Latino families and other communities of color.
Chispa Arizona has been doing grassroots organizing in the Phoenix valley for the past four years, elevating the voices of our families and pressuring polluters and decision makers to uphold our right to a clean and healthy future. Chispa Arizona has also established a track record of success running top-quality nonpartisan voter registration efforts in Arizona. Since 2016, Chispa Arizona has helped more than 40,000 individuals register to vote via site-based programs in state.
Chispa Arizona is seeking a Civic Engagement Director who has strong experience in program management, issue advocacy, community organizing, voter registration, and a passion for democracy and voting rights work. This person will help develop a voting rights and democracy agenda for Chispa AZ, working with the organizing team and civic engagement staff as well as community partners, and build coalitions for a strong program that expands access to the political process. We are looking for a creative, motivated leader who is goal-driven and detail-oriented.
- Assist in recruiting, hiring, training and managing voter registration program staff.
- Track and report data and progress related to voter registration efforts. Ensure program is executed with high standard of quality control, professionalism and appropriate long-range perspective.
- Develop follow-up communications and other tactics targeted at new registrants to engage them in Chispa AZ programs.
- Work with Chispa AZ Executive Director and LCVEF Civic Engagement leadership to develop, implement and evaluate advocacy, coalition-building and organizing campaigns that advance voting rights and protect against voter suppression.
- Work with Chispa AZ team to develop and test effective and new organizing and mobilizing strategies and tools to integrate voter registration into an organizing program focused on key constituencies who are disproportionately impacted by environmental issues.
- Work closely with the Chispa digital team to develop online campaign tools and increase online engagement of Latinos and other communities of color with campaigns and programs.
- Attend coalition meetings across Arizona to build relationships, identify opportunities for engagement, and advance the goals of Chispa AZ programs.
- Draft and manage voter registration campaign and program plans and manage funder and coalition reporting as needed.
- Manage and maintain relationships with the Civic Engagement State Table and funding partners.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: Required – Minimum of 3-5 years of experience working on voter registration, electoral, community organizing or labor organizing campaigns, including successful experience managing campaigns focused on Latinos, low-income families, and communities of color. Prior experience managing and supervising staff and/or volunteers. Working knowledge of online database and field reporting systems, like VAN, or the ability to learn them. Preferred – Experience developing program plans and executing metrics-driven campaigns. Experience working with coalitions and developing partnerships to advance shared goals.
- Skills: Required – Exceptional leadership, supervision, management and coaching skills including managing staff. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Flexibility, self-awareness, emotional intelligence, cultural competence, and ability to bring creative ideas and fresh perspective to an evolving civic engagement program. Ability to juggle multiple tasks, solve problems and set priorities in a fast-paced, high-performance environment. Ability to partner and collaborate with existing Chispa AZ team and represent Chispa AZ / LCVEF to a variety of audiences and through various mediums. Reliable, consistent, detail-oriented and self-motivated. Must be bilingual in English and Spanish. Preferred – Excellent writing and verbal communication skills, including ability to write and implement comprehensive voter registration program and issue advocacy campaign plans. Commitment to measuring and tracking progress and outcomes. Working knowledge of compliance issues and regulations related to 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations.
- Cultural Competence: Must share a commitment to advancing racial justice and equity and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Familiarity with the complexity of issues and obstacles facing communities’ of color participation in U.S. democracy. Familiarity with Arizona democratic processes and in-state community preferred.
- Conditions: Ability to work evenings and travel in-state and nationally 10-30% of the time, depending on program. This position will often require non-traditional hours and will involve work on the weekends. This position is based in Phoenix, Arizona.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Civic Engagement Director” in the subject line by November 30, 2018. No phone calls please.
LCVEF is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to racial justice, equity and an inclusive workplace